Tag Archives: tragic

Bill Cosby Found Guilty of Sexual Assault After Years of Accusations

Cosby’s main accuser, Andrea Constand, and two other women who testified that Cosby also drugged and sexually assaulted them were in the courtroom and burst into tears as the verdict was announced.
“I feel like my faith in humanity has been restored,” one of the women, Lili Bernard, said after hearing the verdict.

The conviction came about 11 months after a mistrial was declared in Cosby’s first trial when a jury failed to reach a verdict.

The jury of seven men and five women began deliberating Wednesday and spent a little over 12 hours going over evidence presented to them over two weeks before rendering their unanimous decision.

After the verdict was announced, Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele asked Judge Steven O’Neill to revoke Coby’s bail and send him to jail right away.

“I understand this is very serious … however to ask to revoke the bail of individual … is your concern?” O’Neill asked Steele.

“Flight,” Steele said. “To any place. He has a plane.”

At that point, Cosby screamed out in a booming voice: “He doesn’t have a plane you a——!”

Cosby was convicted charges connected to the assault on Andrea Constand, a former director of operations for the women’s basketball team at Temple University, where Cosby was a trustee and major financial donor. Constand testified that Cosby knocked her out with a powerful drug and sexually assaulted her in 2004 at his home.

The prosecution was also allowed to call five other women to testify that Cosby assaulted them in the same manner.

SOURCE

Advertisements

Parkland Students Are Not Happy About Their Clear Backpacks

The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are not impressed by their school’s new safety measure. Six weeks after a gunman killed 17 people at the Parkland, Florida, school, students were given clear backpacks they are required to wear in order to prevent anyone from bringing weapons onto campus.

Robert Runcie, the superintendent of Broward County Public Schools, announced the new policy last month, after the shooter’s brother was caught trespassing on campus, and two students were charged with carrying knives onto school grounds. Runcie also said students would be issued ID badges they must wear at all time while at school, and that the district is considering installing metal detectors.

Students were immediately critical of the decision, with one senior, Kyra Parrow, tweeting, “s/o to America for making my school seem like jail now because legislators don’t have common sense gun reform on their agendas.” Reactions weren’t any warmer when the backpacks were handed out on Monday after students returned from spring break.

Some students used the clear plastic backpacks to broadcast their opinions on the new requirement.

Since the shooting, Stoneman Douglas students have been at the forefront of a renewed push for stricter gun-control legislation. The new bags were issued just over a week after millions of people around the world joined Parkland students for the March for Our Lives protest for gun control.

“We’re going to make sure the best people get in our elections to run not as politicians, but as Americans. Because this,” Parkland survivor David Hogg said at the march in Washington D.C., pointing at the U.S. Capitol, “This is not cutting it.”

SOURCE

OJ Simpson Released from Prison

Orenthal James “OJ” Simpson has officially been released from Lovelock Correctional Center in Las Vegas on October 1, 2017, at 12:08 AM after serving 9 years in prison. Rumors started to circulate about OJ getting released on Monday, but the prison was concerned with a media circus and therefore chose to quietly release OJ early this morning. OJ will be on supervised parole for the next 5 years.

On October 3, 2008, Simpson was found guilty of kidnapping and armed robbery for entering a Las Vegas hotel room with a group of men and stealing sports memorabilia at gunpoint. OJ admitted to taking the items but claimed that they were stolen from him by a known associate. OJ’s co-defendants all took plea deals and he was sentenced to 33 years with a possibility of parole after 9 years.

Many believed that OJ’s harsh sentence was payback for being found not guilty of killing his wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman in the 1995 “Trial of the Century”. According to polls, 83% of white Americans and 57% of black Americans felt that Simpson was actually guilty. Simpson went on to lose the wrongful death civil case with Ron Goldman’s family, where the family was awarded $33.5 million. The family was unable to recover hardly any of that amount from OJ. The items in question that resulted in his recent jail sentence were allegedly hidden from Goldman’s family to avoid the civil suit.

SOURCE: VLADTV

Trump Tweets About Puerto Rico’s Billions in Debt After Hurricane

President Trump finally addressed the catastrophic impact Hurricane Maria has had on Puerto Rico after mounting calls for him to shift his focus from NFL protests to the urgent matter, on Monday, September 25. And in doing so, the firebrand Commander-In-Chief insensed many by raising a reminder of the commonwealth’s debt to Wall Street bondholders.

“Texas & Florida are doing great but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble,” Trump tweeted. “It’s old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities – and doing well.”

The tweet is being blasted as insensitive and ill-timed in light of the devastating conditions on the ground in the aftermath of the Category 5 storm. Comedian Wanda Sykes and musician Marc Anthony are among the public figures who have blasted Trump’s focus on athlete protests as Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio and other lawmakers urge cooperation with Puerto Rican governor Ricardo Rossello’s push for Congress to pass a relief package that could prove sufficient in sparing further tragedy and getting the island back up and running.

SOURCE: VLADTV

Lil Wayne Hospitalized After Suffering Multiple Seizures

Lil Wayne performs during the 2017 Billboard Music Awards at T-Mobile Arena on May 21, 2017 in Las Vegas.

Lil Wayne is recovering in hospital after he suffered multiple seizures in a Chicago hotel room, according to reports.

The 34-year-old rapper, who has epilepsy, missed a performance in Las Vegas on Sunday night after enduring a number of fits, TMZ reports.

Doctors at Northwestern Memorial advised against immediately releasing Wayne due to his latest run of poor health. As a result, his scheduled show Sunday night at Drais Beachclub in Las Vegas was canceled.

“Lil Wayne and the entire Young Money / Maverick team are valued partners and members of the Drai’s LIVE family,” the show’s promoters explained in a social media post. “Our priority is the health and well-being of our artists. Everyone at Drai’s wishes Lil Wayne a speedy recovery during this time.”

The rapper, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr, has had a string of well-publicised health setbacks in recent years.

He was hospitalized in June 2016 after suffering what was described at the time as two minor seizures just days prior to his planned appearance at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles. And in 2013, Wayne spent time in an intensive care unit. “The reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself. That’s just typical me though,” he said at the time.

SOURCE

President Trump Won’t Be Invited To Celebrity-Studded Hurricane Harvey Telethon

Houston rapper Bun B and Scooter Braun are busy planning the September 12, 2017, celebrity-studded Hurricane Harvey telethon, but President Trump may not get an invite. As devastating flooding has engulfed Texas and the full damage is still too early to assess, people nationwide are standing in solidarity to help their fellow citizens.


The Hurricane Harvey telethon will not be a place to promote political agendas or spread bigotry and hatred. According to Bun B, unless President Trump can find his place alongside other presidents, such as Barack Obama in a show of strength and unity, he won’t be invited to appear.

There will be three simulcasted telethons across the nation including one in Nashville, Tennessee, New York, New York, and Los Angeles, California. Reese Witherspoon and Blake Shelton will host the Nashville telethon, tentatively Michael Strahan and Kelly Rowland will host the New York telethon (this is subject to change) and Jaimie Foxx and Hillary Duff are tentatively scheduled to host the Los Angeles telethon. Organizers are interested in celebrities who were born and/or raised in Houston to participate in the telethon.

Bun B is outspoken about the treatment of blacks in a country that is seemingly on the verge of a race war. With white supremacists rearing its head again, Bun B is one of the most outspoken and vocal rappers on issues of race and division in the nation.

He has repeatedly called upon white Americans to stand up against racism, and it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he would withhold an invitation to President Trump unless he proudly stands alongside Barack Obama and other presidents.

The news that Bun B will not invite President Trump unless he stands in unity with other presidents is getting a mixed reaction on social media. Some feel that Bun B shouldn’t single out President Trump, while others wholeheartedly agree.

SOURCE: CI

Heather Heyer Memorial Service Held in Charlottesville

Five days after she was tragically killed while demonstrating against a white supremacist rally, a memorial service is being held for 32-year-old Heather Heyer.

The service started at 11 a.m. Eastern. Prior to the service, President Donald Trump tweeted his well wishes for Heyer and her family, saying she was a “beautiful and incredible” woman that “will be long remembered by all.”

Heyer was killed Saturday when a vehicle allegedly driven by James Alex Fields Jr. stormed into a counter protest and hit dozens of demonstrators. Nineteen others were injured as a result, and Fields was arrested and charged by police.

The incident has caused widespread outrage across the nation as people look for answers to the senseless act, which was spurred by increased tensions because of the white nationalists gathering in the Virginia city. Those demonstrators were there protesting the potential removal of a Confederate statue in a local park.

Heyer’s mother, Susan Bro, told NBC News that her daughter was at the demonstration with friends and was hit by the car as she was trying to cross the street.

“She was plowed down by a young man who was intent on spreading hate and thought hate would fix the world,” Bro told the news outlet. “And hate does not fix the world.”

Bro spoke to the Huffington Post one day after her daughter’s death. She told the news outlet that Heyer was at the counter protest to try and “bring an end to injustice.” She tearfully added that her daughter’s goal was always to stop hatred in the world.

“Heather was not about hate, Heather was about stopping Hatred,” she said to the outlet. “Heather was about bringing an end to injustice. I don’t want her death to be a focus for more hatred, I want her death to be a rallying cry for justice and equality and fairness and compassion.”

Bro also appeared on CNN with Anderson Cooper and tearfully remembered her daughter.

SOURCE: HEAVY