Tag Archives: breaking news

Man seen in video harassing woman in Puerto Rico shirt charged with hate crime

An allegedly intoxicated man, whose harassment of a woman wearing a Puerto Rico flag shirt at a Chicago park last month was captured on video, has been charged with felony hate crime counts, a spokesperson for the Cook County prosecutor’s office said.

Timothy Trybus, 62, is charged with two felony counts of hate crime, Cook County State’s Attorney spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said.

A man identified as Trybus is seen in a video accosting Mia Irizarry, 24, at the Caldwell Woods forest preserve in Chicago on June 14. Because of the Puerto Rican flag shirt Irizarry is wearing, the man in the video asks if she is a U.S. citizen and says “you’re not going to change us, you know that?” and “the world is not going to change the United States of America.”

The harasser didn’t seem to realize that Puerto Rico is, in fact, part of the United States America.

Irizarry had a permit for the space, officials said, and she says in the video she was there for a birthday party.

Felony hate crime is a class 3 felony, and carries a possible sentence of 2 to 5 years, but probation is also an option, Simonton said. She would not comment on whether prosecutors would seek probation or jail time in the case.

Trybus had also already been charged with misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct. Those counts remain, but they could be dropped because the hate crime charges are the more serious, Simonton said.

It was not clear if Trybus had an attorney and a home phone number for him could not be immediately found. Trybus is scheduled to appear in court on a bond hearing on Friday, Simonton said.

The video of the exchange sparked outrage, and even Puerto Rico’s governor, Ricardo Rosselló, weighed in and called it “appalling” and he said “a Puerto Rican woman was brutally harassed by a bigot while an officer did not interfere.”

On Wednesday, Patrick Connor, a Forest Preserves of Cook County police officer who was being investigated for allegedly failing to act during the harassment resigned on Wednesday, and the county board commissioner on Thursday apologized and called the incident “truly appalling, gut wrenching, and a real wake-up call to everyone.”

SOURCE

Advertisements

Police Investigating Dead Body Found at the Home of Giants’ Janoris Jenkins

Police are currently investigating a dead body found at the New Jersey home of Giants baller Janoris Jenkins. According to TMZ, who broke the story, the body is a man, but it’s not Jenkins. Police are planning on releasing the identity once his next of kin is notified.

The body was reportedly found in the basement of the house by a someone who worked at Janoris’ home. One source revealed that Janoris has been in Florida and was not home when the incident took place.

SOURCE

XXXTentacion’s Funeral Will Be Public, Open-Casket Viewing

Loved ones and fans of XXXTentacion will say their final goodbyes soon. Recently it was announced that the late rapper will be having a public funeral. Page Six reports that it will be an open-casket viewing.

The funeral will take place on June 27th from 12-6 p.m. at Florida Panthers Stadium — which holds 20,000 seats. According to attorney J. David Bogenschutz, cell phones and video cameras won’t be allowed ta the event. Violators will be escorted out of the stadium.

SOURCE

Cop Fired For Pulling Over Daughter’s Black Boyfriend for No Reason

An Ohio police officer was fired after a video surfaced of him stopping and illegally detaining a young black man who was dating his daughter during a traffic stop.

Former officer John Kovach Jr. violated many conduct of policy procedures during a traffic stop that involved 18-year-old Makai Coleman. The footage from the stop has gone viral because of what Kovach said to Coleman. Kovach’s daughter was in the car as well. The officer told Coleman to get out of the vehicle and that he is “going to jail” after pulling him over with no cause.

When Coleman asked why he was being detained, the officer told him “Have a seat in my car, we’ll make s**t up as we go.” During this entire incident, Kovach ignored an emergency call about a road rage incident.

SOURCE

March for Our Lives: Hundreds of thousands expected

Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to take to the streets Saturday for March for Our Lives events across the U.S. — the biggest set to happen in Washington, D.C.

Busload after busload has filled the nation’s capital with students from across the country, including some from as far away as California and Minnesota.

The march was announced by students days after the Valentine’s Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., and since then, more than 800 sister marches have been planned.

Events are scheduled in every U.S. state and on every continent, all with the same mission: ending gun violence and taking up gun-control legislation. Organizers expect 500,000 to descend on the nation’s capital, including many from Parkland.

Mei-Ling Ho-Shing arrived in D.C. on Thursday. She was one of the many who were inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during the attack, which left 17 dead. The junior said she plans to link arms with her classmates and march in hopes of changing laws so what happened at her school will never happen again.

“Douglas is in the house. We’re here and coming to make a change,” she said, adding “this isn’t a trending topic. This is people’s lives. We’re not going to stop after this. When we go home we’re still going to be fighting for this.”

The shooting instantly reignited the gun-control debate. But the students in Parkland — who spoke with a loud voice and amassed an enormous following in the hours and days after the shooting — seemed to disrupt the typical cycle after an attack and demanded an end to gun violence.

Within a month of the rampage, several companies cut ties with the National Rifle Association and stopped offering discounts, students from 3,000 schools held a nationwide walkout, and Florida’s governor signed a comprehensive bill that included tightening gun laws.

Jaclyn Corin, one of the core group of Parkland students leading the #NeverAgain movement and organizing the marches, said it’s been unbelievable to see the support around the nation and how thousands of students have rallied for the cause.

She said the outpouring is a “constant reminder that even though this shooting was a horrible tragedy, we’ll make these changes and see some light come out of the bad.”

Corin, 17, said preparations for the march have been stressful, but she and the others are excited. She said this march is just the beginning of what they hope to accomplish.

“We want to continue what we’re doing, especially leading up to November,” she said. “We want every young person to register to vote and head to the polls, no matter who they’re voting for or what party they’ve voting for.”

SOURCE

Rapper Craig Mack Has Died at 46

Craig Mack, known for his stint with Bad Boy records in the early 1990s has passed away. It has been confirmed that the “Flava in Ya Ear” rapper died of heart failure on Monday in Walterboro, South Carolina. Mack is survived by his wife and two adult children. He was 46.

Aly Raisman Suing U.S. Olympic Committee

Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman filed suit against the U.S. Olympic Committee for failing to take action to prevent former USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University team doctor Larry Nassar from molesting hundreds of young athletes, according to news reports.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in California but announced Friday, accuses the committee of bungling its response to sexual abuse allegations against Nassar, who is now serving a long prison term for sex crimes.

“After all this time, they remain unwilling to conduct a full investigation, and without a solid understanding of how this happened, it is delusional to think sufficient changes can be implemented,” Raisman said in a statement, according to NBC. “I refuse to wait any longer for these organizations to do the right thing. It is my hope that the legal process will hold them accountable and enable the change that is so desperately needed.”

A USA Gymnastics trainer was sometimes present during treatment sessions where Nassar abused young athletes at the Karolyi Ranch, Raisman alleges in the suit, according to NBC News.

Raisman, in recent interviews, has accused the USOC of ignoring allegations against Nassar and threatening her not to tell how he molested her under the guise of treatment.

“I was told [by USA Gymnastics] to be quiet,” Raisman told ESPN in January. “And I think that when somebody in high power is telling you to be quiet, right when they realized you are abused, I think that that is a threat. USA Gymnastics just said, ‘We’re handling this. We got this. Like, stop asking us questions.’”

Raisman, a gold medalist who competed at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, was among more than 100 women who alleged Nassar sexually abused them. He pleaded guilty to child pornography and sexual assault charges and was sentenced to lengthy prison terms.

The USOC did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The group’s CEO, Scott Blackmun, resigned on Wednesday after a cancer diagnosis.

“Under his leadership, USOC has focused nearly all its efforts on money and medals while the safety of our athletes has taken a back seat,” attorney John Manly, who represents many of Nassar’s victims, including Raisman, said in a statement.

 

SOURCE