Tag Archives: jail

Boxer Victor Ortiz Arrested and Charged with Rape

31-year-old boxer and former Welterweight Champion Victor Ortiz has been arrested and charged with 3 felonies, including rape.

According to court documents, Ortiz allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in his Oxnard, CA home back in March. The woman filed a formal report with police alleging the assault in March as well. Ortiz surrendered to authorities on Tuesday and was charged with forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, and forcible digital penetration.

Ortiz’s bail was set for $100,000. He was set to fight this coming Sunday in Ontario, CA but that will likely be canceled or postponed due to his impending legal issues.

SOURCE

Bill Cosby’s Mugshot Released After Being Sentenced to 3-10 Years

Bill Cosby was led in handcuffs after a judge sentenced him to 3-10 years in state prison for sexual assault. Cosby looks downcast in his mugshot.

The judge in Bill Cosby’s sexual assault case has sentenced the famed entertainer to 3-10 years in state prison.

The judge also called the 81-year-old a “sexually violent predator,” and it was determined that his name will be on a sex-offender registry sent to neighbors, schools, and victims.

Bill Cosby arrived at the courthouse in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania for his sentencing hearing for drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand.

Cosby was convicted on three aggravated indecent sexual assault charges in April, with each charge carrying a sentence of up to 10 years. Cosby has said he vows to appeal.

SOURCE

Long Beach Rapper “Mario C” Facing 3 Years for Threating Mayor on Twitter

Long Beach rapper Mario C admits that his online trolling may have gone too far, as he’s now facing years in prison for threatening Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia.

Back in July, Mario, real name Mario Chheng, wrote, “Run up into your city halls n let off a thousand rounds.” A few hours later, he wrote, “I’ll join lbpd soon. N I’ll murk our mayor within a year.”

Chheng told the Long Beach Post that he was just trolling and didn’t intend to do anything to the mayor. He explained, “I was saying it, but there was no real intent behind it. On the scale of probability it wasn’t anywhere near above the 50 percent mark. It was just more so having the balls to say it, but at the same time I’m saying it behind a computer screen, so there’s no real balls involved.”

During his interview with the Post, Chheng admitted that he was annoyed that his posts weren’t getting the attention he wanted, so he decided to take his trolling to a different level. He stated, “I feel like people are watching my stuff but nobody is responding or reacting, so I’m just thinking it’s kind of weird, so it kind of forces me to say more and more outrageous stuff — just to get a reaction. I got a reaction. It just wasn’t the one I was expecting.”

The rapper also admitted that he was jumped by a group of people after previously claiming to be “the biggest Crip in Long Beach.”

Chheng was released on $50,000 bond after being charged with charged with one felony count of threatening a public official, which faces up to three years in prison.

SOURCE

Officer convicted in killing of 15-year-old Jordan Edwards — a rare outcome in police shootings

A former police officer in Texas has been found guilty of murder in the high-profile shooting death of 15-year-old Jordan Edwards — a rare victory for civil rights activists seeking justice for the dozens of unarmed African American men and boys who have been killed by police officers in recent years.

As Judge Brandon Birmingham read the verdict Tuesday against Roy Oliver, who worked in the Dallas suburb of Balch Springs, sobs came from the gallery of the packed courtroom. The last time an on-duty police officer in Dallas County was convicted of murder was in 1973. Oliver could be sentenced to life in prison.

“I’m just so thankful,” Jordan’s father, Odell Edwards, told reporters. “Thankful, thankful.”

Daryl Washington, an attorney representing the family, said the verdict meant more than justice for Jordan.

“It’s about Tamir Rice. It’s about Walter Scott. It’s about Alton Sterling,” he said, naming victims of police shootings in recent years. “It’s about every, every African American, unarmed African American, who has been killed and who has not gotten justice.”

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted a link to a news story about the conviction, saying that Jordan’s “life should never have been lost.”

On the night of April 29, 2017, Oliver fired an MC5 rifle into a Chevrolet Impala carrying Jordan and two of his brothers as it pulled away from a high school house party. Jordan, who was struck in the head, died later at a hospital.

Police initially said the vehicle had backed up toward Oliver “in an aggressive manner,” but body camera video showed the car was moving away from him and his partner. Days after the shooting, Oliver, who had served in the department for six years, was fired.

Jordan’s stepbrother, Vidal Allen, was driving the car the night of the shooting.

“I was very scared,” Allen testified. “I just wanted to get home and get everyone safe.”

Oliver, 38, has said he feared for his life and his partner’s safety.

“I had to make a decision. This car is about to hit my partner,” Oliver testified in the trial. “I had no other option.”

After a weeklong trial, it took the jury one day to reach a verdict.

Jordan’s death echoes other police shootings involving black boys and men. But no convictions were handed down in most of those cases.

In November 2014, Cleveland police got a 911 call about someone brandishing a pistol near a park — the weapon, the caller said, was “probably fake.” But in an incident captured on camera, a police cruiser pulled into the park and Officer Timothy Loehmann jumped out and opened fire. Within seconds, 12-year-old Tamir Rice, who had a toy gun, was dead.

Even before Tamir’s death, the U.S. Department of Justice had been investigating the Cleveland Police Department. A month after his shooting, it released a report saying Cleveland police displayed a pattern of using unnecessary force.

A year later, a grand jury decided not to indict Loehmann in Tamir’s death, saying he had reason to fear for his life.

In September 2016, in Columbus, Ohio, police shot and killed Tyre King, 13, who was carrying a BB gun while running from police. A grand jury declined to file criminal charges against the officer who killed him.

And in May 2017, an Oklahoma jury acquitted an officer who shot and killed Terence Crutcher, 40, as he stood with his hands above his head along a rural highway.

Those cases and others illustrate the difficulty of convicting police officers. The law in most places gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Prosecutors usually must show that an officer knowingly and intentionally killed without justification or provocation. A fear of harm has been successfully used as the justification for many shootings, even when the victim turned out to be unarmed.

The most recent case that ended in a conviction came last year when Michael Slager, a former officer in North Charleston, S.C., was first tried on murder charges in the April 2015 shooting of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man who was stopped for a driving with a broken taillight. But after those proceedings ended in a mistrial, Slager pleaded guilty to a civil rights violation and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

The last Dallas County police officer convicted for murder while on duty was Darrell Cain, who shot and killed 12-year-old Santos Rodriguez after forcing him to endure a version of Russian roulette while handcuffed inside a patrol car.

There was no immediate reaction to Thursday’s verdict from local or national police groups.

John Fullinwider, a longtime Dallas activist and co-founder of Mothers Against Police Brutality, said Oliver’s conviction came as a surprise.

“I expected to see an angel fly over City Hall before I saw this murder conviction,” he said. “This is a victory, but we really need independent federal prosecutors in all fatal police shootings.”

Lee Merritt, a civil rights attorney who represents the Edwards family, said the conviction was justice for the country.

“We’ve seen time and time again, no charges, let alone convictions, in these high-profile shootings,” he said. “It is my hope that this is a turning point in the fight against police brutality against blacks.”

SOURCE

Ralo Bond Hearing Reportedly Cancelled Until Further Notice

Ralo was arrested in April 2018 after authorities found 440 pounds of marijuana aboard his private plane.

Since then, the rapper has been looking to get released from jail as he awaits trial. His team was even able to get over 11,000 signatures on a petition asked for him to be released. However, that seems to not be up for consideration anymore according to his team.

Via an Instagram story post, Ralo’s team posted a photo with the statement “Ralo bond hearing has been cancelled till further notice. #FreeRalo.”

Previously, a judge denied Ralo’s bond because he believed the rapper was still running a drug empire while in jail.

SOURCE 

Chinx’s Accused Killer Reportedly Talks Plea Deal With Prosecutors

Jamar Hill, one of two men accused of gunning down Chinx in Brooklyn in 2015, appeared in court on Monday (July 16), where it was revealed that he’s working on a plea deal with prosecutors. Queens prosecutor Brian Hughes revealed in court that they are still working on a disposition.

Chinx's Accused Killer Reportedly Talks Plea Deal With Prosecutors

Hill and Quincy Homere are accused of killing Chinx after he left a performance at Red Wolf nightclub in Brooklyn on May 17, 2015. The two men followed Chinx and opened fire on his new Porsche Panamera 4, hitting the rapper 15 times and his passenger, Antar Alziadi, twice in the back. Alziadi survived the shooting.

Hill is due back in court on September 12, and he, along with Homere, is facing 25 years to life if convicted of the murder.

SOURCE

First Photo of DMX in Prison Surfaces Since Being Incarcerated for Tax Fraud

Previously, DMX was sentenced to one year in jail after pleading guilty to $1.7 million in tax fraud. Now, a photo of a rapper during his sentence has surfaced.

In the photo, X looks as if he put on some weight. He can be seen posing with another inmate as well. According to reports, this is one of the first photos that have popped up since the 47-year-old rapper was incarcerated.

SOURCE

Chris Brown Pleads Not Guilty To Alleged Florida Photographer Attack

Chris Brown denies any wrongdoing.

Last week, Chris Breezy was performing in Florida for his Heartbreak On A Full Moon tour and when he walked off stage police were there ready to handcuff him and take him in. Chris was arrested for an outstanding warrant that was linked to an alleged attack on a photographer from the previous year.

Apparently, Bennie Vines was hired by a club to take photos of Chris who was hosting an event. While taking pictures, Chris punched him in the face but got away before cops showed up. The victim denied medical treatment but went forward with a case against Chris since suffering a split lip. The Blast now reports that Chris pleaded not guilty to the assault. The singer was not in court to preach his stance but the plea was delivered by his attorney who also asked the court to set a date for a “disposition/pre-trial conference.”

Chris apparently paid $2,000 to get out of jail and continue his tour and even hit up Instagram to let his fans know he’s good. “What’s NEW🙄????? Show tomorrow!!!! ❤.”

Chris is set to hit up Virginia Beach tomorrow followed by, New Jersey, Brooklyn and many more for the handful of dates left on the road.

SOURCE

Meek Mill Makes His Return to the Stage at Rolling Loud Festival

In November 2017, Meek Mill was sentenced to two-to-four years in prison after violating parole on petty criminal charges, and after months of protests, petitions, and multiple appeals by the MMG rapper’s legal team, Meek was released from prison last month.

And ever since his release, the Philadelphia-born and raised hip-hop artist has been on a media tour speaking about his experience in prison, how he’s grown as an individual, and how his story can spark prison and judicial reform so that unheard voices don’t become a cog in the prison industrial complex.

Now, Meek Mill has finally returned to the stage for the first time since his release as a surprise guest at this year’s Rolling Loud music festival in Miami, Florida. Meek was introduced by none other than DJ Khaled and was met with roars and gratitude from the crowd.

Meek then went on to perform hits like “On The Regular” and “Litty” alongside Tory Lanez, but also took time to address his wrongful sentencing stating the following, “They tried to take my freedom, they tried to crush my dreams… But now we in Miami going the f*** up.”

Meek has become an influential pillar and somewhat of a martyr in the culture due to his faults and the corruption of the justice system, and it looks like the universe has a bigger plan for the hip-hop artist. With that said, check out Meek on the stage for the first time after being locked up.

SOURCE

Conor McGregor’s bloody victim seen in new bus rampage footage as it is revealed UFC star could face seven years in jail

Crazed McGregor, 29, burst into the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and smashed the bus of fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov with a trolley before trying to launch a metal barrier at it.

It has since emerged that after the bizarre outburst the Irish MMA fighter text UFC boss Dana White saying “It had to be done.”

During the footage McGregor and his crew can be seen punching the windows of the bus and trying to throw various items, from barriers and bins, at the window.

McGregor launches a sack barrow at a window, causing glass to shatter everywhere.

Inside the coach UFC lightweight fighter Michael Chiesa was left with a cut to his head, causing blood to stream down his face.

Yesterday he appeared in court in New York where he was told he would be allowed to fly back to his home in Ireland ahead of his next appearance on June 14.

His attorney reassured the Judge that McGregor isn’t a flight risk, saying: “He’s the most visible face on the planet.”

Bail bondsman Ira Judelson told TMZ McGregor will have to report to him over the phone once a week and all travel must be pre-approved.

Cian Cowley, 25, also a mixed martial arts fighter from Dublin, was charged with assault and his bail was set at $25000.

It comes as the dramatic picture of McGregor being grilled by cops behind a glass screen emerged.

SOURCE