Category Archives: tragic

Melania Trump threatens lawsuit over English class billboard

Billboards featuring Melania Trump and the slogan “just imagine how far you can go with a little bit of English” were removed Tuesday from the Croatian capital after her lawyer threatened a lawsuit.

The billboards were part of a marketing campaign by a private English language school in Zagreb, which tried to persuade Croats to learn English by reminding them of the Slovenian-born U.S. first lady’s personal experience.

But Mrs. Trump did not accept what was apparently meant to be a joke about her English, spoken with a heavy accent. Her Slovenian lawyer demanded that the billboards, showing Melania Trump delivering a speech standing before a fluttering American flag, be immediately removed.

“I’m satisfied with the fact that the school admitted that they violated the law and that they are ready to remove the billboards and (Facebook) ads,” lawyer Natasa Pirc-Musar told The Associated Press. “We are still analyzing possible further legal steps.”

Melania Trump has hired the law firm to protect her image, which has appeared on various products in her native Slovenia, including cakes, underwear and tourism advertisements.

Pirc-Musar said that the Croatian school has apologized for the billboards, but that the statement also needs to be published by the Croatian and Slovenian state news agencies.

“We are very sorry that the billboards were misunderstood as something intended to mock the U.S. first lady,” Ivis Buric, a spokeswoman for the school, American Institute, said. “It was meant to be something positive, to show her as a role model.”

Buric admitted that the short advertising campaign turned out to be “very successful” because of the wide publicity it received both locally and internationally. She said that the school intends to put up new billboards, this time without Melania Trump’s image.

Melania Trump was born in neighboring Slovenia as Melanija Knavs. She left Slovenia in her 20s to pursue an international modeling career before meeting Donald Trump at a Fashion Week party in New York in 1998.

SOURCE: ABC

Advertisements

Federal Judge Blocks Trump Admin from Defunding “Sanctuary Cities”

Late Friday, September 15, a federal judge in Chicago issued a nationwide injunction that would bar the Trump administration’s attempt to defund “sanctuary cities.”

The term “sanctuary city” refers to the roughly 300 local governments nationwide that have chosen not to cooperate with federal law enforcement efforts against immigrant communities. Just last month a judge barred Texas from aiding the federal immigration efforts.

Friday’s ruling came from District Judge Harry Leinenweber who ruled on the principle that cutting funding for those cities protecting undocumented immigrants is unlawful and unconstitutional. Further adding that Attorney General Jeff Sessions didn’t possess the authority to impose such penalties.

In his 41-page decision, Leinenweber wanted to widen the scope of his ruling to a more national view, stating, “no reason to think that the legal issues present in this case are restricted to Chicago or that the statutory authority given to the attorney general would differ in another jurisdiction.”

SOURCE: VLADTV

St. Martin Residents Riot Due to Food & Water Shortages After Hurricanes

Islands in the Caribbean were hit back to back by Hurricane Jose and Hurricane Irma. Places like St. Martin were devastated by the storm, and now reports have surfaced noting that violence has broken out on the island as residents search for food and water. So far, it has been reported that 27 people died as a result of both hurricanes. However, Hurricane Irma may have taken more lives, according to the NY Times.

The news pointed out that there was a major shortage in the amount of food and water available, and there were many power outages. Along with that, there was a major lack in phone service as well, which is keeping many from confirming their safety to their family members outside of the region. A 63-year-old resident pointed out what was happening in St. Martin, saying, “All the food is gone now. People are fighting in the streets for what is left.” On the Dutch side of the island, police noted that increased police presence will be implemented on the street to keep looting from getting out of control. The United States government also noted that they would be sending a flight to St. Martin to get most of the citizens evacuated from the devastated island.

SOURCE: VLADTV

Lil Wayne Hospitalized After Suffering Multiple Seizures

Lil Wayne performs during the 2017 Billboard Music Awards at T-Mobile Arena on May 21, 2017 in Las Vegas.

Lil Wayne is recovering in hospital after he suffered multiple seizures in a Chicago hotel room, according to reports.

The 34-year-old rapper, who has epilepsy, missed a performance in Las Vegas on Sunday night after enduring a number of fits, TMZ reports.

Doctors at Northwestern Memorial advised against immediately releasing Wayne due to his latest run of poor health. As a result, his scheduled show Sunday night at Drais Beachclub in Las Vegas was canceled.

“Lil Wayne and the entire Young Money / Maverick team are valued partners and members of the Drai’s LIVE family,” the show’s promoters explained in a social media post. “Our priority is the health and well-being of our artists. Everyone at Drai’s wishes Lil Wayne a speedy recovery during this time.”

The rapper, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr, has had a string of well-publicised health setbacks in recent years.

He was hospitalized in June 2016 after suffering what was described at the time as two minor seizures just days prior to his planned appearance at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles. And in 2013, Wayne spent time in an intensive care unit. “The reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself. That’s just typical me though,” he said at the time.

SOURCE

Police Put on Leave after Arresting Nurse

A Salt Lake City police officer has been put on paid leave after he was filmed arresting and roughing up a nurse at a hospital for refusing to allow blood to be drawn from an unconscious patient.

Nurse Alex Wubbels said she was frightened when the police officer handcuffed and dragged her screaming from the hospital in July.

After Wubbels and her lawyers released the dramatic footage of the arrest in the state of Utah, prosecutors called for a criminal investigation and Salt Lake City police put Detective Jeff Payne on paid leave on Friday.

In a tweet, the police department said another “employee” who was involved was also on administrative leave pending investigation.

“This cop bullied me. He bullied me to the utmost extreme,” Wubbels said in an interview with The Associated Press news agency. “And nobody stood in his way.”

The Salt Lake City police chief and mayor apologised and changed department policies in line with the guidance Wubbels was following in the July 26 incident.

Wubbels said she adhered to her training and hospital protocols to protect the rights of a patient who could not speak for himself.

The video has gone viral, with many on social media once again raising questions about police brutality in the United States.

Payne wrote in a police report that he grabbed Wubbels and took her outside to avoid causing a “scene” in the emergency room.

He said his boss, a lieutenant whose actions also were being reviewed, told him to arrest Wubbels if she kept interfering.

The detective left Wubbels in a police car for 20 minutes before realising that blood had already been drawn as part of treatment, said her lawyer, Karra Porter. Wubbels was not charged.

The hospital said it is proud of the way Wubbels handled the situation.

The patient was a victim in a car crash and Payne wanted the blood sample to show he had done nothing wrong, according to the officer’s written report.

The patient, William Gray, is a reserve police officer in Rigby, Idaho, according to the city’s police. They thanked Wubbels for protecting his rights.

Gray is a semi-truck driver and was on the road when a pick-up truck fleeing from authorities slammed into him and his truck burst into flames, police reports say.

SOURCE

President Trump Won’t Be Invited To Celebrity-Studded Hurricane Harvey Telethon

Houston rapper Bun B and Scooter Braun are busy planning the September 12, 2017, celebrity-studded Hurricane Harvey telethon, but President Trump may not get an invite. As devastating flooding has engulfed Texas and the full damage is still too early to assess, people nationwide are standing in solidarity to help their fellow citizens.


The Hurricane Harvey telethon will not be a place to promote political agendas or spread bigotry and hatred. According to Bun B, unless President Trump can find his place alongside other presidents, such as Barack Obama in a show of strength and unity, he won’t be invited to appear.

There will be three simulcasted telethons across the nation including one in Nashville, Tennessee, New York, New York, and Los Angeles, California. Reese Witherspoon and Blake Shelton will host the Nashville telethon, tentatively Michael Strahan and Kelly Rowland will host the New York telethon (this is subject to change) and Jaimie Foxx and Hillary Duff are tentatively scheduled to host the Los Angeles telethon. Organizers are interested in celebrities who were born and/or raised in Houston to participate in the telethon.

Bun B is outspoken about the treatment of blacks in a country that is seemingly on the verge of a race war. With white supremacists rearing its head again, Bun B is one of the most outspoken and vocal rappers on issues of race and division in the nation.

He has repeatedly called upon white Americans to stand up against racism, and it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he would withhold an invitation to President Trump unless he proudly stands alongside Barack Obama and other presidents.

The news that Bun B will not invite President Trump unless he stands in unity with other presidents is getting a mixed reaction on social media. Some feel that Bun B shouldn’t single out President Trump, while others wholeheartedly agree.

SOURCE: CI

Leonardo DiCaprio Donates $1 Million For Victims Of Hurricane Harvey

Leonardo DiCaprio joined a list of celebrities who have pledged donations to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. He donated the cash via the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation to the newly established United Way Harvey Recovery Fund.

The newly created fund that was announced by United Way Worldwide on Wednesday, August 30 ‘will distribute 100 percent of donations for recovery in the affected areas, community by community, in the months and years ahead.’

The $1 million from DiCaprio’s Foundation is the inaugural donation to the fund.

‘We are incredibly grateful for the generosity of Leonardo DiCaprio and his foundation,’ United Way Worldwide President and CEO, Brian Gallagher, said in a statement.

‘Responding to Hurricane Harvey requires the best of all of us–and that’s what this gift represents.’


He continued saying that, ‘United Way’s Harvey Recovery Fund will provide much-needed help for the communities along the Gulf Coast where lives have been changed forever.’

Terry Tamminen, CEO of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, also stated, ‘We hope others will step up and support the United Way and other organizations.’

In the past, Leo’s foundation has donated to recovery efforts following the 2004 tsunami, the Haiti earthquake, and the Hurricane Sandy as well.


Hurricane Harvey struck Texas at peak intensity on August 25, and it has caused at least 31 deaths and huge economic losses which are estimated to range from $10 billion to $160 billion.

FEMA director, Brock Long, called Harvey the worst disaster in the whole Texas history.

By Wednesday evening, the disaster has been downgraded to a tropical depression.

SOURCE: CI