Tag Archives: president

University of Florida Under Fire for Pushing Black Graduates Offstage

The University of Florida came under fire over the weekend, after recordings taken during the school’s year-end commencement ceremony went viral amongst members of the public who grew outraged over the way they saw some of the Black graduates being treated.

UF Under Fire for Pushing Black Graduates Offstage

Many of the roughly 10,000 fresh-faced alumni who crossed the Exactech Arena stage at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Sunday (May 6), did so in style, with some stopping to pose for awkward selfies, others doing dance moves, skips, and flips, and one gentleman even kneeling down to propose to his girlfriend. There were also several instances in which the ceremony’s marshall got rough while moving to rush exuberant grads off – and in each of those cases, the students happened to be Black.

Myesha Senior had plans to celebrate before her Jamaican flag-waving family by doing a Usain Bolt dash pose, but the moment was ruined when she was suddenly manhandled by the marshall. “I tried to do it really fast. I saw the guy coming toward me … and when he pushed me, I almost fell, and I caught myself. But he pushed me so far that I passed the lady’s hand that I was supposed to shake,” she reportedly told The Washington Post of the moment.

Similar actions were taken against Nafeesah Attah, who was nearly knocked over while going to flash a Delta Sigma Theta hand gesture, and to Oliver Telusma, who wound up having to wrap his arms around the marshall to keep from tipping over due to the way he was rushing him along.

University President Kent Fuchs would later take to Twitter to apologize. He has also contacted each of the alum seen in the videos to express his regrets personally. Fuchs confirms that the marshall is being investigated.

SOURCE: VLADTV

Advertisements

Trump Upset Government Shutdown Stopped Him From Attending Party

On January 19, after not reaching the required votes, the government shutdown all three branches of government under the rulership of the same party. This was the first time that this has happened in modern U.S. political history.

While the shutdown caused mayhem and fury across the nation, one person that allegedly angrier than anyone was Donald Trump and it wasn’t because the government shut down, it was because the shutdown reportedly caused him to miss a party.

The Daily Beast reports that sources close to the president said he became angered by the shutdown because it affected a trip that a trip that he had planned for his inauguration anniversary in Mar-a-Largo at a black-tie gala event. The sources told the Daily Beast that as the vote became close to close, Trump concerns grew because he had scheduled the event for Saturday night and if the government were to shut down it would stop him from going to “my party.”

Scott Dworkin, who is the Democratic Coalition co-founder took to Twitter to confirm that he also received similar reports about the Trumps concerns. Taking to Twitter, he wrote, “Multiple people close to the White House told me this morning that Trump is furious he hasn’t been able to leave for Mar-a-Lago yet. Now they are trying to figure out a way for him to get to Florida without much backlash. I don’t think that route exists. #TrumpShutdown.”

The further the speculation about the canceled trip, the White House was able to confirm that Trump’s trip to Mar-a-Lago was canceled over the shutdown. The Daily Beast was able to reach some of the Representatives who disagreed with the statements saying the closure, “would not necessarily impede the president’s travel plans to Mar-a-Lago or elsewhere.” Another official at the White House Told CNN that it made sense to scrap the trip as it would not be a good look for POTUS.

SOURCE

Trump’s visit to Great Britain just got cancelled

President Trump’s trip to the United Kingdom just got abruptly cancelled, following his retweet of a far right, Islamophobic meme.

According to The Telegraph, “The trip, a scaled down version of a state visit with no meeting with the Queen, was intended to allow Mr Trump to come to the UK while avoiding the mass protests a full state visit would likely trigger. However, The Telegraph can reveal that the trip has been pushed into the long grass, with no new date in the diary picked.”

Trump’s retweet’s caption featured a “Muslim migrant” beating up a crippled Dutch boy. The video was later debunked, as the attacker was actually from the Netherlands.

SOURCE

Trump Tweets About Puerto Rico’s Billions in Debt After Hurricane

President Trump finally addressed the catastrophic impact Hurricane Maria has had on Puerto Rico after mounting calls for him to shift his focus from NFL protests to the urgent matter, on Monday, September 25. And in doing so, the firebrand Commander-In-Chief insensed many by raising a reminder of the commonwealth’s debt to Wall Street bondholders.

“Texas & Florida are doing great but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble,” Trump tweeted. “It’s old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities – and doing well.”

The tweet is being blasted as insensitive and ill-timed in light of the devastating conditions on the ground in the aftermath of the Category 5 storm. Comedian Wanda Sykes and musician Marc Anthony are among the public figures who have blasted Trump’s focus on athlete protests as Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio and other lawmakers urge cooperation with Puerto Rican governor Ricardo Rossello’s push for Congress to pass a relief package that could prove sufficient in sparing further tragedy and getting the island back up and running.

SOURCE: VLADTV

ESPN Reportedly Tried to Replace Jemele Hill

The White House encouraged ESPN to fire Jemele Hill after the anchor tweeted disparaging remarks about President Donald Trump. The network allegedly did try to pull the SportsCenter host, according to a report from ThinkProgress.

Hill was caught in the middle of a firestorm when she tweeted that Trump was a white supremacist, ignorant and unfit for the job of commander in chief. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that Hill’s tweets were a “fireable offense,” and several conservative publications started a social media movement for that to happen.

ESPN issued a statement on Tuesday, reprimanding Hill for her comments but didn’t issue a suspension. According to Think Progress, they did, however, try to remove the host. The network reportedly tried to keep Hill off the air on Wednesday evening, but her co-host Michael Smith refused to do the show without her, sources said. They also said that the producers reached out to two other black ESPN hosts, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, to ask them to serve as fill-ins for the show, but Eaves and Duncan refused to take the place of Hill and Smith. Faced with the possibility of having to replace Hill and Smith with white co-hosts (which would’ve caused a firestorm), sources said ESPN then called Hill and asked her to come back on her show.

ESPN refutes these claims.

“Yesterday was a hard and unusual day, with a number of people interpreting the day without a full picture that happened,” Rob King, the senior vice president for news and information at SportsCenter, told ThinkProgress. “In the end, ultimately, Michael and Jemele appearing on the show last night and doing the show the way they did is the outcome we always desired.”

“We never asked any other anchors to do last night’s show. Period,” ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz emailed ThinkProgress after they published their report.

Hill did not address the controversy during the show Wednesday night, but she did release a statement on Twitter. She did not apologize for her statements, nor delete the tweets, but apologized for painting ESPN in an unfair light.

SOURCE: VLADTV

Trump accidentally Revealed His Summer Vacation Plans

It looks like President Donald Trump will be headed out on vacation and away from the White House, yet again.

The FAA released a notice that restricts flights over Bedminster, NJ from August 4-21 due to “VIP movement.”

Axios noted that this is likely because Trump will be vacationing at his Trump National Golf Club in the town. Trump recently indicated he much prefers the golf club to the White House, which he reportedly called a “real dump.”

The FAA notice said aircraft within a certain “inner core” around Bedminster are prohibited except for “Approved law enforcement, military aircraft directly supporting the United States Secret Service (USSS) and the office of the President of the United States, approved air ambulance flights, and regularly scheduled commercial passenger and all-cargo carriers operating under one of the following TSA-Approved standard security programs/procedures.”

Axios also noted that Trump frequently complained about the length of his predecessor President Barack Obama’s vacations. August is a slow time for government officials and if the FAA notice is an indicator, Trump will be gone on vacation for as long as Obama was last year when he visited Martha’s Vineyard, Axios said.

Trump himself took to Twitter numerous times during Obama’s presidency to make his point.

Trump also complained about Obama spending time golfing or campaigning, though Trump has been golfing at least 43 times since he was inaugurated and has also held several campaign rallies for his 2020 reelection bid (though he has only been president for a little more than six months).

SOURCE: RP