After tweeting about the legal troubles surrounding his former personal lawyer and his campaign chair, Donald Trump grabbed attention with a tweet about South Africa. He wrote, “I have asked Secretary of State @SecPompeo to closely study the South Africa land and farm seizures and expropriations and the large scale killing of farmers. South African Government is now seizing land from white farmers. @TuckerCarlson @FoxNews.”
Trump tagged Fox News’ Tucker Carlson in the Tweet after he criticized the State Department for not addressing South African President Cyril Ramaphosa’s proposed land reforms. The country’s official government Twitter page responded with a message that read, “South Africa totally rejects this narrow perception which only seeks to divide our nation and reminds us of our colonial past.”
Black South Africans make up 80% of the population in the country and only 4% own fertile land, and redistribution of land has been a key point for the ruling party, the African National Congress. The ANC is pushing for accelerating the redistribution of land ahead of an election, and expropriate some land seized by white South Africans during apartheid.
However, the South African government is not “seizing land from white farmers” as Trump’s tweet states. Earlier this month, President Cyril Ramaphosa made a statement about the situation, stating, “We still have a festering wound in terms of how the land was taken from our people and that wound needs to be healed and the only way to heal that wound is to give land to the people. Doing so will ensure a fair and prosperous future for all of our people.”
The part of Trump’s tweet about “large scale killing of farmers” has also been condemned. South Africa’s largest farmers’ organizations, AgriSA, states that the number of murders is at a 20-year low.
The Anti-Defamation League also released a statement on Trump’s tweet, which read, “It is extremely disturbing that the President of the United States echoed a longstanding and false white supremacist claim that South Africa’s white farmers are targets of large-scale, racially-motivated killings by South Africa’s black majority.
“We would hope that the President would try to understand the facts and realities of the situation in South Africa, rather than repeat disturbing, racially divisive talking points used most frequently by white supremacists.”
Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to take to the streets Saturday for March for Our Lives events across the U.S. — the biggest set to happen in Washington, D.C.
Busload after busload has filled the nation’s capital with students from across the country, including some from as far away as California and Minnesota.
The march was announced by students days after the Valentine’s Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., and since then, more than 800 sister marches have been planned.
Events are scheduled in every U.S. state and on every continent, all with the same mission: ending gun violence and taking up gun-control legislation. Organizers expect 500,000 to descend on the nation’s capital, including many from Parkland.
Mei-Ling Ho-Shing arrived in D.C. on Thursday. She was one of the many who were inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during the attack, which left 17 dead. The junior said she plans to link arms with her classmates and march in hopes of changing laws so what happened at her school will never happen again.
“Douglas is in the house. We’re here and coming to make a change,” she said, adding “this isn’t a trending topic. This is people’s lives. We’re not going to stop after this. When we go home we’re still going to be fighting for this.”
The shooting instantly reignited the gun-control debate. But the students in Parkland — who spoke with a loud voice and amassed an enormous following in the hours and days after the shooting — seemed to disrupt the typical cycle after an attack and demanded an end to gun violence.
Within a month of the rampage, several companies cut ties with the National Rifle Association and stopped offering discounts, students from 3,000 schools held a nationwide walkout, and Florida’s governor signed a comprehensive bill that included tightening gun laws.
Jaclyn Corin, one of the core group of Parkland students leading the #NeverAgain movement and organizing the marches, said it’s been unbelievable to see the support around the nation and how thousands of students have rallied for the cause.
She said the outpouring is a “constant reminder that even though this shooting was a horrible tragedy, we’ll make these changes and see some light come out of the bad.”
Corin, 17, said preparations for the march have been stressful, but she and the others are excited. She said this march is just the beginning of what they hope to accomplish.
“We want to continue what we’re doing, especially leading up to November,” she said. “We want every young person to register to vote and head to the polls, no matter who they’re voting for or what party they’ve voting for.”
President Donald Trump’s company, the Trump Organization, lost a heated battle in Central America this week. Orestes Fintiklis, the majority owner of what was once a Panamanian Trump International Hotel, won a huge legal battle on Monday, allowing him to remove the “Trump” name from the outside of his hotel.
Fintiklis was forced to make a brief public address when he arrived at the hotel, stating,“This is a purely commercial dispute that just spun out of control, and today this dispute has been settled by the judges and the authorities of this country.” He also sat down and played a baby grand piano that was on display in the hotel lobby. He proudly sang “Accordeon” as he played, which is a Greek song about the fight against fascism.
Although it appears as if Fintiklis has won the war, he has simply won one battle. The Trump Organization released a statement soon after their name was stripped from the building stating that the hotel initiated “the appointment of a temporary, third-party administrator to oversee the management of the property while the underlying dispute is being litigated.”
Fintiklis is also suing the Trump Organization for $15 million. He states that the company’s “utterly incompetent management of the hotel” has repelled hundreds of customers, leading to large financial loses.
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea – Officials in South Korea quarantined 1,200 security guards after 41 of them at the Winter Olympic facilities at Pyeongchang had symptoms similar to the norovirus, CNN reported.
South Korea deployed 900 military personnel after the Pyeongchang Organizing Committee (POCOG) quarantined the security guards. The POCOG said the guards suffered sudden outbreaks of diarrhea and vomited Sunday and were taken to the hospital, CNN reported. An investigation suggested the symptoms could have come from ground water being used in the food and beverages at the facilities, ESPNreported.
“The military personnel … will be responsible for security checks of the 20 venues as they take up jobs such as security searches, previously done by civilian safety personnel, until the patients’ condition is normalized,” according to a statement from the POCOG.
All of the civilian guards are in stable condition, according to the statement.
Competitions at the Winter Olympics begin Feb. 8 and will continue through the closing ceremonies on Feb. 25.
The Kim Kardashian robbery finally has its first busts. French police arrested 17 people Monday in connection with the violent jewel heist in October of the reality star — a high-profile crime that has remained a mystery.
Paris police announced the arrests of suspects ranging in age from 23 to 72, all of whom were known for prior robberies and crimes. During the morning raids, authorities uncovered a stash of firearms, plus about 140,000 euros ($147,500) in cash. Police released no details about the people in custody and announced no charges. Kardashian will be expected to identify suspects through a video feed in New York City.
Kardashian’s French lawyer Jean Veil told the magazine L’Express the arrests were “a nice surprise” that might lead to some answers. This is the first breakthrough in the heist since five masked and armed robbers escaped Kardashian’s Paris abode Oct. 3 on bicycles — and with more than $10 million in snatched jewelry. The 36-year-old mother of two said the thieves had her bound, gagged and held at gunpoint after storming into her semi-secret hotel room during Paris Fashion Week.
Kardashian and her husband, rapper Kanye West, have kept quiet about the incident since her return to America, even as speculation ran rampant about the robbery’s unsolved details. But Kardashian opened up about her trauma in a clip from the upcoming season of “Keeping up with the Kardashians,” and said she feared for her life as the bandits raided her room.
“They’re going to shoot me in the back,” she recalled through tears in the clip, released last week. “There’s no way out….It makes me so upset to think about it.” She escaped unharmed. The robbery was one of two high-profile troubles to plague the Kardashian family in 2016. West, who notoriously ran off the stage of a sold-out show when he heard about the robbery, nixed the rest of his Saint Pablo tour in November and briefly went under psychiatric hold in Los Angeles.