Tag Archives: court

Fabolous Rejects Plea Deal in Emily B Assault Case, Headed to Grand Jury

Earlier this year, it was reported that Fabolous was expected to take a plea deal in his domestic abuse case with the mother of two of his kids, Emily Bustamante. The plea deal reportedly would’ve had Fabolous’ charges dismissed after he completed the pre-trial intervention program, but now the case is possibly headed to a Grand Jury.

According to Bossip, on Wednesday (June 25), Fabolous’ lawyer told the judge that the rapper wouldn’t be taking the plea deal and would take his chances with the Grand Jury. Prosecutors said that the case would be reviewed by a Grand Jury early next month, but Fabolous’ lawyer doesn’t think it will go that far. He stated, “It won’t necessarily go to the Grand Jury. It’s procedural.”

SOURCE

Advertisements

Chris Brown Pleads Not Guilty To Alleged Florida Photographer Attack

Chris Brown denies any wrongdoing.

Last week, Chris Breezy was performing in Florida for his Heartbreak On A Full Moon tour and when he walked off stage police were there ready to handcuff him and take him in. Chris was arrested for an outstanding warrant that was linked to an alleged attack on a photographer from the previous year.

Apparently, Bennie Vines was hired by a club to take photos of Chris who was hosting an event. While taking pictures, Chris punched him in the face but got away before cops showed up. The victim denied medical treatment but went forward with a case against Chris since suffering a split lip. The Blast now reports that Chris pleaded not guilty to the assault. The singer was not in court to preach his stance but the plea was delivered by his attorney who also asked the court to set a date for a “disposition/pre-trial conference.”

Chris apparently paid $2,000 to get out of jail and continue his tour and even hit up Instagram to let his fans know he’s good. “What’s NEW🙄????? Show tomorrow!!!! ❤.”

Chris is set to hit up Virginia Beach tomorrow followed by, New Jersey, Brooklyn and many more for the handful of dates left on the road.

SOURCE

Trump Is About to Get a Dose of Due Process From Summer Zervos

After aide Rob Porter departed the White House amid accusations he had physically abused two ex-wives, President Trump tweeted a question: “Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”

Well, Trump is about to get a dose of it.

On Tuesday, a Manhattan judge dismissed Trump’s effort to deny due process for Summer Zervos, ruling she can go ahead with Case 150522/2017. That is the suit in which Zervos charges Trump defamed her by calling her a liar. She was one of more than a dozen women who accused him of groping and or kissing them.

Trump had sought through his lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, to block the suit, arguing in December that a sitting president cannot be sued in state court. Kasowitz further argued that Trump was too busy leading the free world, and that Trump’s remarks were “political speech” covered by the First Amendment.

In an uncommonly clear 18-page ruling three months in careful making, Judge Jennifer Schechter rejected all that. She offered a simple principle that is a pillar of America’s true greatness.

“No one is above the law,” Schechter wrote.

She cited Clinton v. Jones, the Supreme Court decision allowing Paula Jones to proceed with a federal sexual harassment lawsuit against then-President Bill Clinton.

“The President of the United States has no immunity and is ‘subject to the laws’ for purely private acts,” Schechter wrote in summarizing the Supreme Court ruling.

She concluded, “In the end, there is absolutely no authority for dismissing or staying civil action related purely to unofficial conduct because defendant is President of the United States.”

The case will go ahead, and Trump may find himself being deposed under oath about Zervos’ allegations of sexual assault. That puts the Zervos case in a whole other league than the Stormy Daniels scandal, which involves only consensual sex with a woman who took money not to talk and now wants to talk.

And Zervos cannot be bought off. She is only seeking $2,914 in damages, so she is not after a monetary settlement. She wants either an admission or a jury verdict.

In her ruling on Zervos v. Trump, Schechter found further legal grounds for Zervos’ particular suit by citing a New York State Court of Appeals case which held that a college basketball coach was liable for branding two players money-hungry liars for accusing one of his staff of molesting them.

“In Davis v Boeheim, the Court of Appeals determined that a defamation action could be maintained against a defendant who called individuals claiming to have been victims of sexual abuse liars and stated that he believed that they were motivated by money to go public,” Schechter wrote.

In that case, the plaintiffs did not have to prove they had been molested to establish that they had been defamed. They needed only to show they had not come forward simply seeking personal gain as the coach alleged.

Schechter cites in her decision Trump’s repeated accusations that Zervos and the other women had come forward either seeking fame or at the instigation of the Hillary Clinton campaign.

As the decision notes, Trump tweeted that the allegations were “totally made up nonsense to steal the election.”

The decision further quotes Trump at an October, 2016 rally in Pennsylvania:

“Every woman lied when they came forward to hurt my campaign, total fabrication. The events never happened. Never. All these liars will be sued after the election is over.”

Trump is now the one being sued and the judge notes that Zervos need not prove that he groped her in the hotel room. She need only show that her version was not completely fabricated and that he has no basis for saying she harbored ulterior motives in making the accusations.

“Defendant—the only person other than plaintiff who knows what happened between the two of them—repeatedly accused plaintiff of dishonesty not just in his opinion but as a matter of fact,” the judge notes. “He not only averred that plaintiff told ‘phony stories’ and issued statements that were ‘totally false’ and ‘fiction,’ he insisted that the events ‘never happened’ and that the allegations were ‘100% false [and] made up.’”

One witness or bit of evidence establishing that Zervos was in that hotel room — for instance a receipt that would confirm the claim in her suit that he ordered one very expensive club sandwich for the two of them — and Trump likely loses, no matter what happened there.

Schechter rejects any argument that Trump was just engaging in “political speech” that is protected by the Constitution.

“That defendant’s statements about plaintiff’s veracity were made while he was campaigning to become President of the United States, does not make them any less actionable,” the decision says.

She said, he lied.

SOURCE

Kevin Gates Sentenced to 30 Months

Kevin Jerome Gilyard, 31, known by his stage name of Kevin Gates, of Baton Rouge, La., pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm in connection with a 2013 arrest, according to court records. Police records show Gilyard originally was arrested on an unlawful possession of a handgun charge about 8:10 p.m. Oct. 29, 2013, in the 7200 block of South Stony Island Avenue.

Kevin Gates Sentenced 180 Days in Jail

Bridgeview Branch Court Judge Neil Linehan gave Gilyard credit for 34 days already spent in jail in the case, according to court records.

Gilyard at least twice had warrants issued for his arrest in the case, once in 2013 when he failed to show up in court, and once in December 2016, according to court records. He was back in custody at the end of March, according to court records, and had been held by authorities since.

Kevin Gates Sentenced to 30 Months

Gilyard, as Gates, broke onto the scene in 2013 with “The Luca Brasi Story” after a series of mixtapes that depicted the gritty side of his life. The critically lauded effort also brought the rapper into the major label sphere. He signed to Atlantic Records, and released “Stranger Than Fiction” shortly thereafter, the release that began his stint as a Billboard chart fixture.

Rapper Kevin Gates Found Guilty

Gates’ style couples rap and R&B-style singing, while hewing to the bleak, autobiographical style that he has said came from the “pain” of his life. His only studio album, the platinum-selling “Isiah” released in January 2016, reached No. 2 on the Billboard Top 200.

SOURCE: CT

Mel B Claims Husband Stephen Belafonte Brutally Abused Her

Spice Girl Mel B claims her estranged husband punched, choked, berated and sexually exploited her — and got their nanny pregnant.

The former girl band member who was known as Scary Spice, whose real name is Melanie Brown, detailed the alleged abuse in a bombshell court filing that won her a temporary restraining order Monday against Stephen Belafonte.

She said Belafonte’s brutal attacks often coincided with her career success, such as her finale on “Dancing with the Stars” and her judging work on the UK and Australian versions of “X Factor.”

Brown, 41, said it was shortly after she placed runner-up on the fifth season of “DWTS” in November 2007 that Belafonte — her husband of only five months at that point — pounced on her minutes before a live television interview.

“He was in a rage and I had no idea why,” she wrote in her statement. “He placed both of his hands around my neck and began choking me. He then slammed me down onto the hardwood floor.”

She said Belafonte punched her with a closed fist in July 2012, causing her lip to split and swell, after she and recording artist Usher taped a promotional segment in New York for the Australian version of “X Factor.”

She said Belafonte accused her of triggering his furor by flirting with Usher and threatened to release sex tapes if she reported him.

“He told me that no one would believe me because everyone thinks I’m crazy. He called me a ‘f—ing monkey,’ told me I was dumb and said that I was a ‘derelict,'” she wrote.

Brown covered for the abuse by telling producers she had an allergic reaction to shellfish, she said.

The violence continued to escalate, she claimed, with Belafonte allegedly punching her in the face with a closed fist and pushing her facedown on a carpet after she performed with the Spice Girls at the London Olympics in August 2012.

“My face actually scabbed over the rug burns,” she wrote. “Because the injuries were so obvious, and because the media had snapped pictures of me with the facial injury, (Belafonte) forced me to ‘tweet’ out that I injured myself by running in 7-inch Christian Louboutin heels,” she wrote.

She said Belafonte’s “mind games” and violence became so overwhelming she attempted suicide in December 2014.

“In a moment of emotional and physical exhaustion, I took an entire bottle of aspirin,” she said. “I immediately regretted the action and tried to call 999 (England’s version of 911), and (Belafonte) blocked me from calling for help.”

She said he locked her in a bedroom without a phone and told her to “die bitch!”

“Each time I could pry the door open and try to squeeze out, (Belafonte) would slam the door on my head,” she claimed. “I kept telling him that I wanted to get my stomach pumped and I begged him to let me out.”

Brown said she initially fell for Belafonte during a vulnerable period when she was pregnant with her second child but no longer with the baby’s father.

“I was giving birth as a single mother, my self-esteem was very low and my hormones were out of balance due to the pregnancy,” she wrote.

She said Belafonte recognized her weakness and used kindness as his way of “grooming” her for marriage.

Brown said he later hired a “quite beautiful” 20-year-old exchange student from a small town in Germany as their nanny and began sleeping with the young woman.

In the Spring of 2014, Belafonte told Brown the nanny was pregnant with his child and he wanted to have the baby with everyone living under the same roof, Brown wrote.

“I was shocked and in disbelief,” she said. “(Belafonte) later demanded that Lorraine have an abortion.”

She said he paid the young woman $300,000 for three years of nanny services without her consent.

Brown further claimed Belafonte “demanded” that she join in sex acts with “random women” he brought back to their hotel rooms.

“If I objected to participating, he would threaten to release compromising videos of me,” she wrote.

Attempts to reach Belafonte were not immediately successful Tuesday.

In an interview with TMZ.com, he claimed he was hearing the accusations for the first time and was “distraught” and worried about how they might affect their daughters.

Brown has two daughters from previous relationships and a 5-year-old daughter named Madison with Belafonte.

Brown said she finally worked up the courage to divorce Belafonte after traveling back to London to see her sick father shortly before his death.

She claimed Belafonte almost caused her to miss the last days she spent with her ailing dad because he allegedly swiped her passport.

Under the protective order, Belafonte must stay at least 100 yards away from Brown and move out of the couple’s house in the Hollywood Hills.

Brown was granted custody of the couple’s daughter with Belafonte getting no visitation until a follow-up hearing.

The court denied a request by Brown to travel outside the U.S. with the 5-year-old girl.

Brown said she’s worried Belafonte might seek retribution after law enforcement served him with a search warrant Friday but failed to locate a gun at the family’s residence.

Belafonte is not allowed to have a gun due to a prior domestic violence conviction but he allegedly kept one in a lock box in the bedroom closet, Brown’s filing stated.

“I fear that with (Belafonte’s) character trait for violence, my prior physical beatings by him, his willingness to violate both federal and state laws by possessing a handgun — he knows no bounds,” she wrote. “I believe he is extremely dangerous.”

SOURCE: NYDN

Brisco Pleads Not Guilty in Fraud Case

South Florida rap artist Brisco pleaded not guilty to fraud and fake money charges on Tuesday in federal court in Fort Lauderdale.

Brisco Pleads Not Guilty in Fraud Case

Brisco, also known as British Mitchell, 34, is charged with selling counterfeit cash and being part of a fraud ring that operated in South Florida. He is linked to at least $200,000 worth of fraud, according to court testimony.

Mitchell, who was featured on Lil’ Wayne‘s 2009 Grammy Award-winning album Tha Carter III, has been jailed in Broward County since he was arrested earlier this month.

Brisco Arrested on Money Fraud

 

Authorities said he had been on the lam since August when he led law enforcement on two chases in one day when they tried to arrest him. Mitchell is tentatively scheduled to go to trial in federal court in Miami early next month on eight federal charges linked to identity theft, fraud and selling counterfeit currency..

SOURCE: SS

Judge Clowns Coolio’s Hairstyle

Talk about kicking a man when he’s down. Coolio had to stand before a judge to hear his fate after getting caught at the airport with a gun, and get his hair critiqued.

Judge Clowns Coolio’s Hairstyle

Court is never a fun place to be, that is unless you are the judge holding people’s fate in your hands. Rapper Coolio plead guilty to possession of a concealed weapon in court Wednesday after getting caught with a gun in his bag at LAX airport. He won’t face any jail time, but he was sentenced to three years probation and must commit 45 days of community service.

Judge Clowns Coolio’s Hairstyle

A sigh of relief there. However, Coolio didn’t escape the court without getting his hairstyle acknowledged. Midway through the sentencing, the judge took a moment to bring attention to the spider legs currently perched atop Coolio’s head.

Judge Clowns Coolio’s Hairstyle

“You’re a little bit different,” said the judge, inferring that this is not the first time he’s seen Coolio in court. “You’ve got a different little hairstyle going here than in the past, but it, you know, it suits you.”

SOURCE: WWF